posted by ChaosEngine
2 years 10 months ago
• 18,178 views
Cut to the chase and no spoilers: it's good.
I'd be lying if I said it was perfect, but goddamn it, I loved huge parts of it. I really want to talk more but can't without spoiling.
Chewie, we're home.
What it gets right:
- The look: I'm on record as hating JJ, but damn, dude can shoot. By a country mile, the best looking SW film in every way (apart from one dodgy CGI creation)
- The score: JW nails it. Not as overblown as the prequels but building just enough on the originals. If he doesn't get an oscar for this, there's no justice.
- The characters: Fin, Ray and Kylo are solid additions and Han, Chewie and Leia feel like natural extensions of themselves.
- The action: I had genuine moments of "that was f#$king awesome".
- The dialogue: thank every god you've ever prayed to, the nightmare of the prequels is over. There's genuine wit and pathos here.
What it gets wrong:
- The pacing: A New Hope had a near perfect interest curve, but TFA feels like it takes too long to get going.
- Originality: hard to say without spoiling, but there are some pretty familiar story beats here.
I want to talk more about this, but really don't want to spoil. The highest compliment I can pay it is that, for a few hours, I was a kid again.
JJ, I forgive you for Star Trek.